Dog Dharma is undergoing a transformation. Pretty funny, eh, since there’s only been one entry since 2011? Well, the dog who inspired Dog Dharma has entered what I hope is nirvana after a cruel twist of fate. And the human who loved the canine behind Dog Dharma has been tested — and is still being tested — has either become enlightened or beset by the worst dark night of the soul Imaginable.
Here are a few topics we will explore — among countless others, including whatever flotsam drifts through the mist:
- Psychopathy — What is a psychopath? How do you know if you’ve met one, married one, have one in your family or in your workplace? What happens when you tangle with a psychopath? And most importantly, how do you heal?
- Spirituality — One of the original intentions of Dog Dharma, examined from every angle, no holds barred, especially with an emphasis on evil, now to recognize evil, and how to vanquish evil.
- Gender — What does it mean to be feminine or masculine, male or female? Are these misleading dualistic concepts? And especially, anything to do with being transgendered.
- Family — What is the definition of “family”? What does one do if one does not have a family, or if one’s family is toxic or abusive? Is it possible to to live without family or to create a surrogate family?
- Disability — You’re not disabled? Well, this is today, and you don’t know what will happen tomorrow! Not a cheery thought, but an enticement to learn compassion and understanding from someone who is disabled.
- Mental Illness — Nature or nurture? Brain malfunction of history of trauma? What do you do when it hurts so bad you don’t want to live another day? Is the DSM-V legitimate or hogwash? Neuroplasticity? Antidepressants? But most urgent, is the new psychology of happiness a New Age fraud or a hand of hope?
- Creativity and Humor — Among the most potent healing forces I know. Might be transcendent, might be irreverent. Just a spark to light the candle.
- Dogs — In honor of the canine inspiration for Dog Dharma, the now-gone 4-legged love of my life. Again, tops the list of furry healing forces this universe has to offer.
These are just a few ideas clamoring about in the old brain. Stay tuned for a bigger smorgasbord, an expansion of these threads, or if you simply need some reading to put you to sleep at bedtime!